Pasifika PowerUP Plus is an education programme which actively supports Pasifika parents, families and communities to champion their children's learning within Kāhui Ako and schools.
What are the benefits for learners and parents who attend Pasifika PowerUP Plus?
Pasifika PowerUP Plus sessions facilitate and build Pasifika parents and families’ knowledge of education issues to help boost their children’s progress and achievement. They provide:
- parents and family members with information on the benefits of attending early learning, and an understanding of National Standards, NCEA and University Entrance
- academic support for primary and secondary students
- support for children and young people to plan subject and career pathways
- on-site early learning for any under 5s present during the sessions.
Pasifika PowerUP Plus sessions take place in a “PowerStation”. PowerStations are usually located in community venues like church halls, libraries, community centres and schools. The PowerStation is a positive and friendly place where parents, families and learners learn more about education issues and topics.
Pasifika PowerUP Plus sessions consist of 4 workshops led by qualified and experienced teachers and facilitators from the education system. Community champions and academic mentors support the teachers to ensure that everyone who attends receives a high-quality, useful, relevant and focused experience.
How can this tool be used?
Involving your teachers, families and learners is a great way for your Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako to:
- support the progression and achievement of Pasifika children and young people
- strengthen your links with parents and families across the community
- support parents to champion their children’s educational journey and plan their pathways through your Kāhui Ako
- make the most of your Kāhui Ako work and its achievement challenges.
The Pasifika Education Plan can help you plan pathways and support for Pasifika children and young people within your Kāhui Ako. You can access it at
Put some PEP in your Step starter pack
- These are tools, resources and templates to support development of a school Pasifika Education Plan (PEP) for Pasifika student success.
- You will be able to access the PEP online by the end of April 2017.
Action planning ideas
Your Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako could discuss:
- what support you provide to Pasifika learners in your community and how you know that support is effective.
- how you support and facilitate Pasifika parents and families’ knowledge and understanding of education. How do you support them to understand the importance of education and what you are asking their child or young person to do at school?
- who the Pasifika champions and leaders in your local community are. How might you involve them in your Kāhui Ako? How can you involve them to support progression and achievement for your Pasifika learners?
Where to find out more
Find out more about Pasifika PowerUP Plus, including existing PowerStation locations
Link with the Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako Development Map
This tool will help your Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako progress within: