Kāhui Ako can use the Progress and Consistency Tool (PaCT) to support consistent judgments of student progress and achievement in reading, writing and mathematics in Years 1–8.
Inconsistent data being shared across different schools and providers in a Kāhui Ako can be problematic and get in the way of collaboration. PaCT can help to address this issue.
The PaCT is more than an online tool:
- it supports the New Zealand Curriculum
- it prompts teachers to notice what students know and can do across the breadth of mathematics, reading and writing
- it will help create more consistent and reliable information on learner progress that is transferable across schools within your Kāhui Ako.
The Learning Progression Frameworks (LPF) are a key feature of the PaCT. They break down mathematics, reading and writing into different aspects and illustrate the significant steps that learners take as they develop their expertise in these areas from Years 1 to 8.
The PaCT captures teacher judgments on aspects of reading, writing and mathematics and recommends an overall judgement that a teacher confirms or reviews. The PaCT is available for all Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako and schools to support the learning pathway.
How this tool could be used
Find out the 4 step process to accessing the PaCT
For practical advice and guidance on implementing PaCT , there are 2 strands of support available in 2017 through the Curriculum Tools Support contract.
- Workshop introduction to the Curriculum Progress Tools(PaCT and LPF)
- How to use the PaCT and the LPF to understand, track and respond to student progress and achievement against The New Zealand Curriculum (NZC)
To register your interest mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Learning Progression Website
Provides the reading, writing and mathematics frameworks and interactive modules showing how they can be used to support teaching and learning (Years 1–10).
- The Learning Progression App
You can engage with the reading, writing and mathematics frameworks – now available at the Apple Store or Google Play.
- Professional Development and Learning (PLD)
- The Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako Local Curriculum Design Smart Tool
This online tool supports members to work more collaboratively to enhance learning by providing help with understanding; shared learner profiles, rich learning opportunities, strong community relationships and collaborative inquiries.
Action planning ideas
- Identify whether inconsistent data is a problem across your Kāhui Ako.
- Discuss how you currently use progress information across your Kāhui Ako to understand and inform your achievement challenges; and identify students who need additional support pathway through quality teaching for every student.
- Ascertain current level of PaCT usage and expertise across the schools in your Kāhui Ako.
- Consider accessing an introductory workshop for Kāhui Ako leads and teachers, to ensure everyone has a common understanding of the PaCT and benefits of using it. Register your interest at email@example.com
- Review how well parents/whānau understand their child’s progress, so that they know where their child is at and the next significant level they are working towards.
Link with the Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako Development Map
This tool will help your Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako progress within: