Professional Learning and Development (PLD) is changing so that Kāhui Ako can take control of their professional learning and development.
What is changing, and how does it affect my Kāhui Ako?
Communities of Learning can now put forward proposals for tailored PLD support that meets your specific needs. This means that you can:
- align your PLD proposal to the achievement challenges your Kāhui Ako is tackling
- design your PLD around robust inquiry about what needs to change across your Kāhui Ako to meet your goals and targets
- use the expertise within your Kāhui Ako; and identify any external support or expertise you require to build capability.
Once your PLD has been allocated, you can work with a facilitator to plan PLD tailored to your own needs. You can now apply for PLD support in any term.
How this tool could be used
Kāhui Ako can begin planning their professional learning and development right now.
You can do this by accessing the PLD Journal.
The PLD Journal is an interactive document which helps with the planning, self-evaluation and reflection that form the basis of your application. This will guide you through a number of activities, such as summarising your data, describing your capabilities, and identifying what you will use to determine the effectiveness of your PLD.
If you would like more advice on the first steps, you can talk to your local Kāhui Ako Lead. Otherwise, you can begin your planning by downloading the PLD Journal from the PLD website,
Other tools which can help in putting together your proposal for PLD include:
- these will help gather the evidence you need and the inquiry focus to put your proposal together.
- this tool will assist you to work collaboratively.
Action planning ideas
If you’re thinking about making a PLD proposal, you should:
- work together across your Kāhui Ako to determine your capacity to carry out PLD, and what resources you have available to support development
- use evidence from a range of sources to put together a PLD proposal. The PLD Journal can help guide this process – if you need any help with this, speak to an education advisor at your local area office
- submit your proposal to your local area office
- don’t forget, you can apply for PLD every Term now.
If you have already been allocated PLD:
- search on the PLD website to find facilitators who will meet your needs
- work with your chosen facilitator(s) to develop a tailored delivery plan for your PLD
- if you have any issues, don’t hesitate to contact your local area office.
Where to find out more
Find more information on the PLD website or talk to your local education advisor.
Link with the Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako Development Map
This tool will help your Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako progress within Domain 1 of the Development Map: Teaching collaboratively for the best learning outcome for every child, particularly the ‘Improving Capability’ category.