The Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako Local Curriculum Smart Tool (the tool) will help Kāhui Ako build a shared local curriculum, focussed on supporting learners across the entire pathway.
Kāhui Ako will be able to use the tool to:
- design and implement a quality localised curriculum that is responsive to the learning needs and interests of their students and their community
- take account of all aspects of Te Whāriki, the New Zealand Curriculum and Te Marautanga o Aotearoa
- use assessment as evidence of progress and growth across the curriculum
- support schools to consider the place of te ao Māori, te Reo Māori, and tikanga Māori in their Communities of Learning and how these are positioned in their local curriculum
- monitor and share information on innovative practices to increase the spread of effective teaching.
Kāhui Ako, curriculum experts and the Ministry of Education are working together to inform the design and development of the tool.
This resource will be progressively available from April 2017.
How this tool could be used
We want you to explore the ‘Collaborative Inquiry’ part of the tool, try out the administrative functions and provide us with feedback.
The tool will be progressively available to all Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako from April 2017.
Action planning ideas
- What elements of your curriculum are unique to individual schools, and what has potential to be shared across your Kāhui Ako?
- Consider strategic objectives across your Kāhui Ako – how will you approach these challenges? Where do you need to improve to achieve success?
- How do you share what works across your Kāhui Ako, and what do you need to support this effectively?
- Schools in Kāhui Ako that use the NZC can use the Learning Progression Framework to understand learners’ current levels and next steps, and to support a smooth transition across Years 1-10
- Kāhui Ako can use the Progress and Consistency Tool (PaCT) to make consistent judgements about learner progress.
- Kāhui Ako can use Te Waharoa Ararau to collect and report judgements about learner progress.
Where to find out more
Go to further information on the local curriculum design smart tool.
Link with the Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako Development Map
This tool will help your Community of Learning | Kāhui Ako progress within Domain 1 of the Development Map: Teaching collaboratively for the best learning outcome for every child.